Our Uniquely Innovative Approach: A New Direction for K-12 Education in China
The academic model has been carefully crafted so that it harnesses the strength and rigour of education in China and instils a deep understanding of Chinese heritage, culture, tradition and language. An innovative approach to pedagogy and pastoral care ensures students learn in a manner that promotes the Harrow School’s Values, leadership attributes and holistic approach to education synonymous with Harrow School in the UK and all our other schools across the globe.
Key features include:
- HILA is passionately committed to developing students prepared to make a positive and purposeful contribution to society in China. This is achieved through excellence in delivery of the Chinese National Curriculum (CNC) and associated activities and programmes, compliance with local Education Bureau’s standards；
- Expert native language teaching ensures the development of bilingualism so that students have the social, cultural and technical language to thrive in China and beyond;
- Diverse approaches to learning ensure that every child develops knowledge, skills and understanding;
- Learning experiences extend beyond the classroom, including: visits, productions, enterprise projects, and community service；
- A defined set of skills and competencies thematically link all curriculum elements；
- Moral education, and the Harrow School’s Values, are evident in all learning experiences；
- Individual interests and talents are developed;
- Learners show excitement and engagement in the curriculum;
- Students feel valued as present and future world citizens.
Grade 1 to Grade 9 (age six to Fourteen)
Our Harrow Innovation Leadership Academy curriculum for Grades 1 to Grade 9 is committed to ensuring excellence in delivery of the Chinese National Compulsory Education Curriculum, combining this with our unique HILA approach to holistic education – preparing students to excel academically and to succeed as global citizens.
Exclusively designed by senior education experts, the curriculum blends the best of East and West. Core subjects such as History, Geography, Chinese Language, Calligraphy and Culture and Moral Education are taught in Chinese, using the rigour of Chinese teaching methodologies. Subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, English Language, ICT, Mathematics, and Physics, together with co-curricular Arts and Design, Physical Education and Music offer an opportunity for acquiring bilingualism through being delivered in English and supported in the Chinese.
Students transition to the sixth forms with confident in both Chinese and English, well prepared academically and socially for entry to the very best universities globally. This approach, a first in China, ensures that students benefit from a world-class education which blends academic excellence with preparation for life and leadership.
GRADE 10 (age FIFTEEN)
Students study a range of International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) courses. Highly regarded, IGCSE is an excellent and academically challenging preparation for A-level. The HILA curriculum and bilingual approach ensures that they are well prepared for success academically but also to flourish personally, socially and emotionally.
Grade 11 – 12 (age SIXTEEN to SEVENTEEN)
In this phase of the school, students study a number of A-Level subjects. These courses are considered to be an academically rigorous preparation for university study. A bespoke university preparation programme guides pupils and parents towards preparation for applications for and transition to higher education. The focus on building a deep knowledge and appreciation of Chinese heritage, culture and language is maintained throughout sixth form. Students leave the school prepared for success and leadership in China and beyond.
Senior Phase and Sixth Forms
In the senior school, the curriculum is designed to prepare students for life at university and beyond. This includes access to rigorous international qualifications: A-Level, the gold standard internationally and recognise by leading universities across the world.
Personalised Guidance to Universities
We provide a dedicated University Admissions and Careers Guidance service that guides all students and parents towards preparation for transitioning to higher education and life at university. This includes guidance in selecting courses, structured support through the application process and coaching for interviews and relevant assessment. We are renowned for high impact close personal tutoring that is used to ensure all students reach their academic potential, developing the knowledge, skill, attributes and experience necessary for university entrance and success, career advancement and a fulfilling adult life. Each year students graduate from our family of schools take up places at Oxford, Cambridge and Ivy League universities, as well as the best universities in Asia and around the world. The strong connections between our schools and top universities around the world further supports the successful placement our students.